From:
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:16:43 -0500
From: "Erwin, Patricia J., M.L.S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:54:24 +0000

My husband (now nearing 80 yo) has been associated with the news biz
since he was 17 yo.  I've been associated since the early 60s.  Bias,
yes of course.  But there has been lots of coverage of all the pros
and cons on all sides.  Granted, we don't pay attention much to the
social media sites - we tend to go with the traditional news sites -
WSJ, NYT, WP, plus personal regional affiliations, etc.  but between
the blogs and the news stories, they appear to be pretty balanced.  It
depends on your geographic location (in Minnesota, there is definitely
a DFL tilt), your age (LATE middle age, thank you very much), we have
both been watching power and politics for a very long time.

I'm with Joe - we turned our cable off 2 years ago - but not our
internet. I have a personal news feed from my husband - who monitors
most media outlets.

--pat
Pat Erwin

From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:51:50 -0500

I really am confused by this. I am no expert, or even close follower,
of media studies (outside of the business side, which is an entirely
different world), but I have not found the gaps in the media to be
nearly as great as many people I know, including some of my closest
friends. During the primary season I kept hearing that mainstream
media were biased toward Hillary, but I kept reading in the NY Times
(not to mention the Wall St. Journal) about one Hillary atrocity after
another. As for Standing Rock, my In box is so full of information
about it that I have been thinking about setting up a filter to block
it. And my news sources are not particularly eclectic and, with the
possible exception of following a number of publications on Twitter,
probably within the median point of liblicense subscribers: NY Times,
WSJ, New Yorker, NY Review of Books. From Twitter I pick up the
Guardian and the Economist. No fringe media here, unless liblicense is
counted as fringe.

Perhaps I would feel differently if I watched TV for anything but
movies and baseball. When I am stuck in a hotel room and surf the
cable news outlets, I am astonished by how empty they are. But the
other media I follow, which surely must be considered mainstream, seem
to me to be doing a better job than they get credit for.

Joe Esposito