From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:47:36 -0400
From: Richard Poynder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:28:12 +0100

[MOD NOTE:  Book was published by ARL and can be found at:

http://www.arl.org/about/tour-this-website/1199-scholarly-journals-at-the-crossroads-a-subversive-proposal-for-electronic-publishing#.U7IPBqjB2kY
]

Twenty years ago, on June 27th 1994, cognitive scientist Stevan Harnad
posted a message on a mailing list, a message he headed “A Subversive
Proposal”.

This called on all researchers to make copies of the papers they
published in scholarly journals freely available on the Internet.

The message sparked a protracted discussion, and eventually led to the
publication of a book called “Scholarly Journals at the Crossroads: A
Subversive Proposal for Electronic Publishing”.

Today the Subversive Proposal is viewed as one of the seminal texts of
the open access movement.

Last Friday, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Subversive
Proposal, I emailed Harnad nine questions. I have published these
questions, with Harnad’s answers attached, on my blog. In his answers
Harnad proposes an updated Subversive Proposal for 2014.

The Q&A can be read here:

http://poynder.blogspot.com.ar/2014/06/the-subversive-proposal-at-20.htmloynder.co.uk