From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2016 18:30:38 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:23:19 -0500

The answer to this, I believe, is the creation of an academic
bookstore. Such a service would be designed with academic audiences
(both institutional customers and individuals) in mind. Among other
things it would include a suite of reading apps for mobile devices,
apps that would include the affordances that scholarly readers
require.

The reason to do this at the retail level is that that is the point of
aggregation. At least in theory, everything should be in a bookstore.
Publishers don't have the resources to do this by themselves, and for
smaller publishers there isn't even time to have a conversation about
it. And even if publishers tried, they would be accused of collusion
and wind up back in court.

I have been trying to get support for such a bookstore for years now
and have pretty much given up. The odd thing for me is that I have not
been able to get people in the U. press community interested. They
would be the biggest beneficiaries of such a service, but end-use of
their products does not seem to be their priority.

Perhaps a library would like to take this on????

Joe Esposito