From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 19:56:21 -0400
From: Christina L Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 19:34:38 +0000

I get this in digest form, so may be repeating what has been posted today.

I visited one of the Overdrive bookmobiles about 3 years ago when our
local public library district scheduled their appearance to launch the
Overdrive product. It did have a "petting zoo" with a variety of
handheld devices and it was promoting both e-books and streaming
films. Our public library only had the e-books in their collection.

Our public library had a staff person, along with the Overdrive folks,
sitting outside to talk to patrons and hand out the brochures and
instructions on how to use. It was great for stirring up interest in
their new e-book collection. Several months later I contacted the
Overdrive folks to see about getting the digital bookmobile to visit
our community college campus, as we were getting a lot of inquiries
about e-book fiction titles. We don't have the product, but we partner
with the public library sometimes on events for our students and I saw
this as conveniently bringing information to our campus for a product
they could get online through our public library and not have to drive
10 miles into town for some help. At that time, the Overdrive folks
told me that their schedule was booked out something like a year in
advance, and the schedule basically took them in a path around the
country. They wouldn't be in our neck of the woods again for quite a
while.

Several of my colleagues at our academic library use overdrive for
their fiction needs, downloading to their e-readers. Convenient and
free.

Tina Sibley
Distance Education Librarian
Arizona Western College