From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:37:23 -0500
From: T Scott Plutchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:17:56 +0000

I was a member of the initial Library Advisory Committee for the New
England Journal of Medicine from 2002-4.  Currently I'm a member of
the PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences) Library
Advisory Group, the STM Library Relations Committee (International
Association of STM Publishers), and the recently formed Silverchair
Library Advisors.

Each of these groups has been quite different in terms of time
commitment, topics, etc., but I've found them each to be extremely
valuable to me -- and the organizations seem to feel that they are of
value since they continue to invest in them.  The most fundamental
benefit is the opportunity to spend time in serious conversation with
people from other segments of the scholarly communication community
regarding issues of importance to all of us.  And while I may not
always agree with the decisions made by the people at these
organizations, I have always felt that I've had plenty of opportunity
to express my views and that those views are taken seriously.

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham