From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:41:26 -0400
From: Marita LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 03:48:13 -0400

UK Academic Libraries Expand Participation in Portico

Portico is pleased to announce the expansion of its digital
preservation services to twenty more academic libraries in the United
Kingdom, bringing the total number of UK participating institutions to
fifty-seven. Among the additional JISC libraries that initiated
participation this year are University of Leeds, University of
Cambridge, and University of Manchester. The complete list of Portico
participating libraries in the UK is available at
http://bit.ly/QADW6W

"Concerns about continuing access are a barrier to e-only, thus JISC
Collections is pleased to have collaborated with Portico to enable
more institutions to participate," commented Lorraine Estelle, Chief
Executive Officer of JISC Collections. Steve Sharp, Resource
Acquisition Team Leader at University of Leeds, added, "As we all
expand our digital collections, it is reassuring to know we have
secure back-up for our content. The University of Leeds is delighted
to be participating in the JISC Collections agreement with Portico."

JISC has been providing consultation and guiding adoption of digital
preservation solutions by its members. Over the past 18 months, JISC
and Portico have collaborated on a series of webinars and workshops
about digital preservation for the UK library community. Similarly,
JISC Collections was active in negotiating and installing a master
agreement between Portico and JISC member libraries.

"Digital preservation has become an important issue in the United
Kingdom and the global community," commented Kate Wittenberg, Portico
Managing Director. "We are thrilled to have the support of both the
JISC and these fifty-seven member libraries."

About Portico

Portico (www.portico.org) is a digital preservation service for
e-journals, e-books, and other scholarly e-content. The Portico
archive is certified as a "trustworthy digital repository" by the
Center for Research Libraries; more than 13,000 e-journals, more than
120,000 e-books, and 48 d-collections have been entrusted to it. For a
complete list of Portico-related facts and figures, please visit
Portico Archive Facts & Figures.

Marita La Monica
Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications
ITHAKA