From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:43:29 -0500
From: Marcus A Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 05:00:58 +0000

Agree -- data/text mining requires different understandings. "Normal"
usage as defined by whom, and for what agenda?

Obviously publishers will seek to protect their IP from entities such
as SciHub, but of course the entire debate surrounding open access is
whether that IP is legitimate. Which depends on which side of the
fence you stand on.

The OA debate is now very stale. And the writing is on the wall for
immediate OA in the biosciences -- embargos will become a thing of
history.

I hope that, going forward, the revenue streams for publishers
transition from licensing and APC schemes into licensing tools for
data/text mining on top of an open corpus. -- Marcus