From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 20:30:20 -0400
From: "Seeley, Mark (ELS-WAL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:09:13 +0000

Thanks Robert-- I have the article now and will read it with gusto
over the weekend-- of course I was a bit put off by language about
copyright such as "utilitarian tenant of maximizing net social
welfare" as I actually think that authors and publishers may
occasionally have a legitimate right to decide not to have their works
used in a particular context or by a particular party (so I tend to
think that the US copyright clause also has to be seen in relation to
the more European "authors rights" concepts, thinking back to the 18th
century)... but it does look like an interesting approach once you get
beyond the preamble...

Re Kevin's comments on commercial purpose, of course there are often
commercial purposes involved in uses ultimately found to be fair-- and
commercial publishers often rely on the principle directly (as in the
DK/Grateful Dead case).  However I do still find it odd that Google's
direct commercial purpose (building a massive
search/database/algorithm) gets such short shrift in the Authors Guild
decisions-- and that the research-oriented purposes are in the end
relatively speculative and "potential."  Why does the court provide so
much emphasis on this potential research purpose, when it decries the
potential market impact in its fourth factor analysis.  I believe the
burden of proof has been substantially mixed.

I agree that the Book project was socially useful-- for example it was
eye-opening to me to get a sense of the trade and local language book
publishing activities that Elsevier was engaged in in the first half
of the 20th century-- not something that the modern STM-oriented
company thinks about much.  But the question is whether, on balance,
it was more commercial than research-oriented, and I think it was more
commercial.  Obviously judges in the 2nd Circuit disagree with me!

Best,
Mark

Mark Seeley, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Elsevier
225 Wyman Street, Waltham, MA 02451, USA

Internal Elsevier Legal department intranet site:
http://nonsolus/legaldepartment/
External information at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/homepage.cws_home