From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:21:22 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 22:07:07 -0400

Sandy,

I think this perspective obscures the nature of the relationship.
Publishers are vendors, libraries customers.  Of course they share
some overarching values: representative democracy, the rule of law,
respect for others' religion, etc.  But that level of abstraction
doesn't reach to the details of how publishers and libraries actually
operate--and that is in their impersonal economic dimension.  This is
neither good nor bad; it just is.  And economic relationships need not
be characterized by greed or guile (what I would call poor branding).
But in the end it is the economic relationships that define us.

And as to Richard's comment that we built this system, well, no.
Isn't that the point of the principle of the Invisible Hand, that it
is independent of ourselves?

I think people would be better at their jobs, feel less frustrated,
and probably be more at peace with themselves if they understood that
an economic relationship is an economic relationship.  Plenty of room
in our lives for other things, but publishers sell and libraries buy.

Joe Esposito