From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:02:40 -0500
From: Bernie Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 03:29:47 +0000

The situation is not as dire as it might appear -- but not as happy as
we would like it to be.

In the print era, U.S. research libraries stepped in where publishers
opted out.  Most notably the Library of Congress, by virtue of being
the U.S. federal copyright depository, accumulated vast back runs of
commercially produced magazines and trade books in the
twentieth-century, as did CRL (my organization), independent research
libraries like the New York Public Library and Linda Hall Library, and
a number of major university libraries.  Magazines preserved include
The New Yorker (NYPL), Popular Mechanics (Linda Hall Library) and even
Women's Wear Daily (CRL).  These libraries also preserved the
"serious" -- and non-serious -- work published by the trade
publishers. (The same holds true for newspapers, although many
libraries' newspaper holdings were long ago replaced with microfilm.)

This activity is based on a longstanding, if tacit, division of labor
maintained by publishers and libraries.  That arrangement is now under
duress as collections begin to outgrow the space libraries can allot
to them.  Despite scarce resources, though, there is reason for
optimism.  CRL, long a repository of trade literature retired over the
years from academic libraries, is now pooling resources with the Linda
Hall Library to preserve popular and professional scientific
literature.  And print journal archiving efforts, emerging under the
auspices of the WEST and ASERL consortia, will prevent the loss of
some non-scholarly serial literature.

On the other hand, in the electronic realm -- "not so much." As we
enter the third decade of Internet publishing, the U.S. does not yet
have electronic copyright deposit for trade publications. And as
licensed electronic access to e-books, newspapers, and other trade
publications replaces print acquisition by research libraries,
maintenance of published content is back in the publishers' court.
While Portico, CLOCKSS, Scholars Portal, and other digital
repositories focus on scholarly publications, different solutions will
have to be found for the commercial content. And these will probably
entail a new division of labor between publishers and libraries.

Bernie Reilly
CRL Global Resources
www.crl.edu

-----Original Messa
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:47:41 -0500

You have the same situation with trade books.  There are no
preservation policies that I can detect.  I have tried to drum up
interest in this and would be interested to hear from others who are
working in this area.  We know that we don't want to lose the output
of the university presses at Harvard, Chicago, California, Georgetown
et al, but do we want to walk away from the serious work published by
Random House and HarperCollins?

Joe Esposito