From:
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2015 16:17:08 -0400
From: Charlie Rapple <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 08:06:22 +0100

Hi Jim, et al,

I agree with your view on the irrelevance or ineffectiveness of
finger-pointing and cluck-clucking. The new Think. Check. Submit.
campaign seems like a practical and realistic attempt to start trying
to address the problem with education rather than exhortation. Its
launch (yesterday) coincides with another recently published study
which, reflecting your point about large numbers of new authors from
developing countries, finds that three quarters of authors in the
predatory publications it studied were from Asia and Africa.

I just posted more thoughts on Think. Check. Submit. in the Scholarly Kitchen:
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2015/10/01/think-check-submit-how-to-have-trust-in-your-publisher/

The article I mention is:

Shen, C. & Björk, B.. (2015). ‘Predatory’ open access: a longitudinal
study of article volumes and market characteristics. BMC Medicine.
13:230. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0469-2

Think. Check. Submit. is at:
http://thinkchecksubmit.org

It doesn’t (yet?) start to address some of the underlying challenges
i.e. the pressures to publish and the market this creates for
“predatory" journals, but I see both TCS and the Coalition for
Responsible Publishing Resources (http://www.rprcoalition.org) as
evidence of a new wave of practical action and outreach.

All the best,

Charlie.

Charlie Rapple
Co-Founder | Kudos