From:
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 18:54:09 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 01:52:06 +0000

My fundamental criticism, Jeffrey, is not with the criteria you use to
identify predatory practices, but with your limitation of their
application to OA publishers.  And even if we accept the rationale for
that limitation that some of the representatives of the traditional
business model for publishing have suggested on this list, I still
have a question.  Now that the American Journal of Public Health has
announced that they are extending their embargo period on open access
for older articles from 2 to 10 years, and have asked authors to pay
$1000 for OA if they want to shorten that period -- and these are
authors who expected OA after two years when they published in AJPH --
will you list that journal as predatory?  If not, why not?

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries