From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:25:06 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:45:55 -0400

While the new, open-access-friendly publication arrangement for MLA
journals offers authors greater freedom to disseminate their work, we
believe that institutional and individual subscribers will continue to
value the composition, completeness, and convenience of a well-edited
issue. Under the new arrangement authors have the option to distribute
their essays more freely than before, but not all authors will act on
this option—and some of those who do may post the unedited manuscript
and never replace it with the updated, published version.
Nonsubscribers may be uncertain whether the copy of an article they
find is the version of record, and they will lack access to the
version of record when it is designated by DOIs and other links.

Another benefit of subscription stems from the fact that sections of
issues and some entire issues are assembled as a single conceptual
project, whose elements enrich one another when read together.
Repositories will provide library patrons only incomplete
reconstructions of such projects. In addition, the journals contain
attractions not destined for a repository: features published under a
license that doesn’t allow open access, association news,
illustrations, errata, and advertisements of new publications.
Finally, overworked researchers and librarians value the time saved by
not having to attempt to replicate an issue by searching multiple
resources on the Web.

Sincerely,
Barbara Chen
Director of Bibliographic Information Services
and Editor, MLA International Bibliography
New York, NY 10004-1789
email [log in to unmask]