From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:24:08 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:33:00 +0100

I have had offline interaction with Sandy and am in a position to go
into this point further at least as far as the UK is concerned. I am
writing and should have finished months ago a chapter on journals in
the twentieth century for a multi-volume history of the book in the
UK. Before WWII there was little change. There were four
organisational players. These were the learned societies (mostly
working with publishing partners) trusts/foundations (likewise)
commercial publishers such as Macmillan and the two big university
presses. It was (to say the least) not a very dynamic scene and mostly
journals were regarded as a drain on resources and not real publishing
by the last two categories. Science journals and science in general is
(I would suggest) regarded as not really part of the business of
scholarship by many AAUP members.

After the war English replaced German as the language of scholarship
but the opportunities were not taken up by any of these players. The
players who answered the need were actually mainly German immigrants
(usually Jewish). Commercial publishing in Germany had always had a
dominant role if compared with the UK and the US. The growth in
journals and journals more responsive to the needs of scientIsts came
not just from Pergamon Press but also the British companies of Wiley
and Academic. Elsevier of course came into play a little later. During
this period CUP and OUP did very little. As I worked for both Academic
(from 1971) and OUP (from 1982) I can claim personal knowledge of
these developments, but there is some literature also.

Anthony Watkinson