From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2016 17:50:24 -0400
From: Richard Poynder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 18:24:20 +0100

The UK research community’s response to the recent referendum – in
which a majority of 52% voted for the UK to leave the European Union
(or “Brexit”) – has been one of horror and disbelief.

This is no surprise, not least because Brexit would have a serious
impact on research funding in the UK. Nature reports that UK
universities currently get around 16% of their research funding from
the EU, and that the UK currently hosts more EU-funded holders of ERC
grants than any other member state. Elsewhere, Digital Science has
estimated that the UK could lose £1 billion in science funding if the
UK government does not make up the shortfall in EU-linked research
funds.

But what are the implications of Brexit for open access? Given the
highly volatile situation the UK now finds itself in we cannot say
anything for certain. However, any squeeze on funding will surely be
detrimental to current plans to migrate scholarly publishing from a
subscription to an open access system.

With these thoughts in mind I put some questions to long-time
proponent of open access, and Professor of Structural Biology at
Imperial College London, Stephen Curry. His thoughts on the topic can
be read here:

http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/open-access-and-brexit.html