From:
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 17:13:16 -0500
From: Jessica Polka <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:50:43 -0500

My guess: once a paper is published, there are few practical outcomes
that can result from a public comment, one of them being a correction
or retraction after some kind of criticism. This type of comment is
obviously more comfortable to make anonymously. Compare PubMed
Commons's 6,000 papers to the 69,000 on PubPeer (which permits
anonymity).

In the case of preprints, public comments have another purpose:
offering constructive feedback that helps the authors improve their
manuscript. On bioRxiv, about 10% of the papers have comments - a much
higher percentage than either of these platforms.

Jessica Polka, PhD
Director, ASAPbio
Visiting scholar, Whitehead Institute
445 Main Street, room 661F