From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 08:49:34 -0500
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:58:34 +0000

I am not sure how vendors might respond to it, but one proposal I like
is to suggest that the clause state that the courts in and the law of
the defendant's jurisdiction in any action based on the contract would
apply.  That way the party deciding to sue must always bear the
inconvenience of an unfamiliar system, so there is an incentive to
find a solution other than litigation.  And the party who did not
elect litigation is rewarded by the more familiar and convenient
jurisdiction.  This reduces the threat of the extra expense of a
lawsuit in a foreign jurisdiction, which can sometimes be used as part
of intimidation tactics.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication