From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2017 19:22:35 -0400
From: Pierre Mounier <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 17:25:18 +0200

Dear Antony,

here are some answers to your questions :

- DOAB lists 8800 OA books. Oapen disseminates around 4200 books,
OpenEdition 4300. Not all books from Oapen and OpenEdition are in DOAB
because DOAB has criteria that are not met by all books on these
platforms.

- Regarding OPERAS working groups on standards, practices and
services, our aim is certainly not to create new regional standards!
The aim is rather to adopt collectively the same existing
international standards and, here comes the beef, to help small
organizations such as those participating to the consortium to adopt
them. That's exactly the point of HIRMEOS as a proof of concept for
this aim.

- Regarding your US/Europe question, that's another point, complex but
interesting:  first, we should start with the idea that
'international' doesn't mean US in all cases ;-)  Second, my
experience with US publishers is that they are frequently focused on
their own domestic market, which is normal, considering its size, but
make 'international' cooperation difficult.  But I hope of course that
OPERAS will be able to help in this in the future (we are just
starting so our initial efforts are to structure the consortium in
Europe)

- And we already started international cooperation with Scielo which
is a major player at global level, not on OA books but on journals.

- Finally, you're right:  OPERAS is not formally closed to big
commercial publishers but not intended primarily to them, firstly
because they appear to be self-sufficient.  In other words, we don't
target the head but rather the long tail of the distribution curve
where a lot more work has to be done to coordinate small highly
specialized players, particularly in SSH.  Not exactly "e pluribus
unum" but rather "in varietate concordia" ;-)

- That's why OPERAS effort is to set up a public distributed
infrastructure open to all players in need of support to upgrade their
OA publishing activity, by difference and complementarity with big
commercial publishers which integrate vertically services in their own
closed environment.

All the best,

--
Pierre Mounier