From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:19:01 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 22:27:45 -0500

Of course, the world is not quite so simple and clear-cut as Ken makes
it out to be. E.g., there are some journals where the peer review is
done by the publisher's staff, who are themselves experts in the field
with Ph.D.s. And when we get to talking about OA monograph publishing,
then all peer review (except that done by the editors of special book
series) is done by the publishing staff in conjunction with the
external reviewers whom they engage. And that kind of peer review is
compensated, not done for free.

Beall's complaint is not that predatory publishers are profiting but
that they are extracting money from the system of scholarly
communication while providing no significant service in return. At
least "greedy" commercial publishers are providing real services that
have value!

Sandy