From:
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2013 17:10:11 -0400
From: "Guédon Jean-Claude" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 04:24:51 -0400

Thank you, Sandy, for statistics that actually support my case.

So, less than one third of ARL members are private universities. That
still leaves two thirds of its members supported by public money (all
Canadian universities, including McGill and Toronto are publicly
supported). And if one looks at the amount of public research money
flowing into the budgets of private universities in the US, it cannot
be said that research, even in those institutions, is a private
matter. In fact, these US elite institutions pool a significant
fraction of the total public money devoted to research, and without
that money, they would meet deep, very deep, budget problems.

But one must also look beyond ARL: If Elsevier had to rely exclusively
on the 34 ARL members to support its publishing business, it would be
in deep ... Have you ever considered how much countries like Germany,
Italy, France, etc. pay for their rights to access Elsevier
publications (e.g. through the Couperin consortium in France)? The
same for Brazil, India, etc. All that is public money.

Adding all this up would dwarf the 34 private ARL members. However, to
see this, one must look a little beyond the US borders.

Let us try an experiment: let us have all public money removed from
the revenue stream of Elsevier and its sister publishing houses, just
for one year, and see how their stock will move... :-)

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée
Université de Montréal