From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 19:03:09 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 09:42:31 -0400

No one is calling anyone a Luddite, Chuck.  Or if someone is, which
side is Ned Ludd on?  I don't see this as a tech matter at all.

The ARL note you pointed to is an unfortunate document. It is
unfortunate because someone is not listening.  Not listening is easy.

Green OA did not suddenly become a bad idea.  It was always a bad
idea.  Gold OA is very different.  It demonstrably works.  So this is
not a discussion about OA, but about a species of OA, and a species of
OA only under very extreme circumstances.

Hybrid OA seems to work at this time, but the jury is still out.  At
what point do hybrid journals get cancelled because the bulk of their
content is OA?  I don't know.  There are so many other things that
lead to cancellations (Green OA among them, but it's a bit player)
that it's hard to pin anything on hybrids yet.  Some large publishers
with lots of internal data may have informed opinions about this, but
they are not sharing that data with anyone.

This topic has a history.  Will digital editions result in the
cancellation of print journals?  That was once upon a time a lively
topic.  Now we know the answer.  Will the inclusion of journals in
aggregations result in the cancellation of individual subscriptions?
That also was a lively topic of debate, but now publishers know the
answer to that.  Will remote digital access from libraries result in a
decline in society memberships?  Now we know the answer to that one.
Over time new media erodes the base of established media.  It can take
a long time.

The woods next to my house are full of rabbits--because, well, they
breed like rabbits.  I wonder how many will get through the winter.
Some will.  But in a harsher environment, with fierce competition for
resources, some will perish.

So when a collections librarian has only enough money to purchase one
more subscription, but there are two that he or she would like, how is
that decision to be made?  Green OA here will be a factor--one factor
of many.  This is why I say that Green OA is a problem only at the
margin.

What is so troubling about this discussion is that no one is
listening.  This is not a discussion even about Green OA. It's a
question of what do you do when your resources are tapped out.  It's a
matter of imagining how to think in adverse circumstances, like our
poor rabbits.  What we say is unacceptable in good times becomes a
matter of grim determination in bad times.  Please don't vilify Rick
for having the strength to contemplate bad times.  We all know that
not all of those rabbits are going to make it.

Joe Esposito