From:
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2012 16:57:07 -0400
From: "Mittermaier, Bernhard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 14:19:54 +0000

Dear Bill,

I fully agree with the other respondents and want to add only two more points:

A. When it comes to cancellations, there are several criteria to think
about. I try to name them in the order of importance for us:

1. Cost/download-ratio
2. Absolute download number
3. Usage in the last three years and it's trend
4. Number of articles from our institution in this journal
5. Number of citations to these articles

Additional points:

Editorship from our institution
Relation to publisher including price history
Availability in the full text database we subscribe to
Availability in the A&I databases we subscribe to
Other occasional reasons

So yes, the availability in a fulltext database might be taken into
consideration when it comes to cancellations.

But no, this is never one of the points that really have an effect on
the decision.  And no, we do not check the database for candidates in
this regard.

B. What is the very nature of an aggregator database for us?

Is it a substitute for journal subscriptions? In no way!  What is it
then? It is a substitute for interlibrary loan / document delivery. We
reduce the workload for our ILL department and reduce the spendings
for document delivery fees by subscribing to a fulltext aggregator
database. And since ILL is only further to subscriptions and not
instead of them, the same holds true for such databases as well.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Dr. Bernhard Mittermaier
Forschungszentrum Jülich
Leiter der Zentralbibliothek / Head of the Central Library