From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2013 18:03:49 -0400
From: Michael Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 22:41:06 -0400

To categorize Bohannon's journalistic sting operation as a
demonstration of the failure of peer review in the same vein as a
journal, such as Stem Cells and Development or Science (see Michael
Eisen's blog: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=1439) that has the
occasional retraction, is a false equivalence. It is a false
equivalence because the retracted papers were, in the case of Stem
Cells and Development and Science, peer reviewed.

I suggest that anyone interested in this story follow the link that
Phil provided below and look at the data set. According to Bohannon,
81 of the journals that accepted the paper did not even review it.
Assuming this is representative of submission to these journals and
not a one-time fluke, this is not what I call a failure of peer
review. This is what I call a fraudulent business. A journal which
accepts money in the form of APCs under the pretense that it is a peer
reviewed publication, when in fact it is no such thing, is a fraud.

Yes, it would be nice if there were a control group but I'm unclear
why the lack of one excuses what appear to be fraudulent business
practices on the part of at least 81 of these publishers.

Michael Clarke
President
Clarke & Company