From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:16:45 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:35:29 -0600

Is not PDA a form of "usage-based pricing" for books?  PDA services
provide access to all (or almost all) of a publishers' books, and a
usage metric determines when a purchase occurs. A budget for PDA
provides a "cap" on how much money is to be spent in this way every
year.  This contrasts with the "approval plan" model where all books
fitting a certain category are purchased without regard to
demonstrated actual need, much as a subscription provides access to
all articles in a journal regardless of how many of them are actually
ever used.  Are there significant differences I'm missing?

Sandy Thatcher