From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:27:14 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:21:56 -0400

GOLD FEVER AND FINCH FOLLIES

The biggest risk from Gold OA (and it's already a reality) is that it
will get in
the way of the growth of Green OA, and hence the growth of OA itself.
That's Gold Fever: Most people assume that OA means Gold OA, and don't
realize that the fastest, surest and (extra-)cost-free way to 100% OA is to
provide (and mandate) Green OA.

The second biggest risk (likewise already a reality, if the Finch Follies
are Followed) is that Gold Fever  makes sluggish, gullible researchers,
their funders, their governments and even their poor impecunious universities
get lured into paying for pre-emptive Gold OA (while still paying for
subscriptions)
instead of providing and mandating Green OA at no extra cost.

The risk of creating a market for junk Gold OA journals is only the
third of the Gold OA risk factors (but it's already a reality too).

Gold OA's time will come. But it is not now. A proof of principle was
fine, to refute the canard that peer review is only possible on the
subscription model.

But paying for pre-emptive Gold OA now, instead of mandating and
providing Green OA globally first will turn out to be one of the more
foolish things our sapient species has done to date (though by far
not the worst).

Stevan Harnad