From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:19:26 -0500
From: "Stern, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:13:59 +0000

I disagree with the statement “the author-pays model is a splendid
one” … at least not for all involved in the scholarly community.

The author-pays model drives all the costs (even if they are reduced
over time) onto the producer, when in fact the readers gain from the
distribution and could/should contribute toward the costs of peer
review and distribution. The far fewer author institutions would be
hard-pressed to provide the same amount of money as the existing
subscriptions provide … which will make the system unstable when it
hits the trigger point.  (If you think costs are untenable now,
imagine if all the costs become loaded onto a far smaller number of
participants.)

Open access can happen with many other types of revenue streams such
as grants, institutional fees based upon use, direct federal subsidies
for discipline based servers, etc.   Let’s not equate Open Access with
author-pays … they are complete equivalents.

David

David Stern
Associate Dean for Public Services
311 Milner Library