From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 21:56:25 -0500
From: Laval Hunsucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:39:39 -0800

> they do what they do to make more money for their investors,
> and they succeed or fail on that basis and that basis alone.

Exactly. Or, as the late Pierre Vinken is known for having put it (and
as mentioned not long ago in at least one of his obituaries here) : an
organization such as Elsevier Science must be seen as "een
winstmachine, geen omzetmachine" [ "a profit machine, not a turnover
machine" ]. And this was made quite clear to all employees ( like me
), even while libraries and editors/authors were being played quite a
different tune.

Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland