From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:59:25 -0400
From: "Guédon Jean-Claude" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:42:04 -0400

There are indeed important differences between OA economic regimes on
the Gold road (the Green road is entirely different in this regard as
it is fully subsidized by institutions that support depositories).
However, Jo Esposito's elaboration, after starting in the right
direction, veers off into irrelevance questions for the issue at hand:
while it is true that knowing who foots the bill is important, the
embargo issue refers to a second order issue at best, the
commercialization aspect is a third order issue, etc.

Remember the basic rules:

1. Research, viewed in its entirety, necessarily includes a publishing
phase; therefore, publishing is an integral part of research;

2. Research (as distinguished from development), i.e. fundamental
research, is financed in great majority by governments, even in the
USA;

3. Research has no other business plan than subsidies. In other words,
although it has been financially viable for several centuries, it has
never been sustainable in the business sense of the word.

Conclusion:

1. Do not ask of scientific publishing to be more sustainable than research;

2. Support all scientific publishing by public subsidies;

3. Place all scientific publishing on an internationalized system of
subsidies to ensure editorial autonomy.

Any system of OA publishing that is not free to readers and to
authors, and that does not allow re-use, mixing, redistribution, etc.,
automatically recreates the very forms of discrimination that OA is
supposed to remove.

Jean-Claude Guédon