From:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2013 18:42:50 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 23:14:14 +0000

I know of no such cases, and my previous message did not suggest that
there were any.  What I said was that fair use is available, as a
default position under federal law, unless it (or some specific uses
that would otherwise be fair use) was specifically ruled out by the
terms of the license.

Several proposals for copyright reform, however, would reverse this
situation by stating that provisions of the copyright law would
preempt contrary contractual provisions.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC 27708