From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:32:46 -0500
From: Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 22:11:41 +0000

Hi, Michael -- I'm not the deck's author and I can't provide direct
answers, but I can respond more broadly to your wonder.

RE T&F profits: Informa posts investor info at
https://informa.com/investors/results-presentations/?year=all

RE private company financials: Financial information is substantially
harder to find, but the fact that a company is private does not mean
that financial information is not available. For research strategies,
see libguides such as https://guides.library.harvard.edu/industry and
https://www.loc.gov/rr/business/company/private.html).

RE: your added perspective -- The library has a limited budget
regardless of UVA's overall budget. Since the deck is for UVA deans,
it appears that $8m to them is not merely a rounding error and the
library's responsibilities include scrutinizing spend (whether
increases are typical or atypical) to ensure that the university's
information needs are met.

Linda Wagner

________________________________
From: Michael Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:23:29 +0000

I wonder where the profit margin figures for T&F and Springer Nature
come from given these are privately held companies?

Of note, last time I checked UVA doesn’t subscribe to T&F’s
collection. So the percent of its budget tied up by Big Deal packages
would be even larger than half if it included T&F (cited below are
only Elsevier, Wiley, Sage, and Springer-Nature).

The 16% increase in Elsevier costs is over 5 years, so that is a 4%
annual increase, which is not atypical.

For perspective, the $8 million UVA spends on electronic research is a
quarter of a percent of the university’s $3.1 billion operating
budget, a figure not cited in this presentation nor the summary below.

******

From: Colin Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 7:02 PM

Of interest to the list - Research information costs of the University
of Virginia power points at:

http://people.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/research.information.costs.uva.pdf

includes the following from the slides-

RESEARCH INFORMATION COSTS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
by Brandon Butler and John Unsworth

Presentation to UVA

Electronic resources make up over 80% of our acquisitions budget

• Of that percentage, Elsevier, Wiley, Sage, and Springer-Nature
(primarilynSTEM content) consume more than half.

• Their slice of our collections budget has doubled in less than a
decade – from 21% in 2009 to 43% today.

• Electronic subscriptions consume 100% of our state funding; all
otherbresources have been acquired using local funds for the past
several years, and those funds are not replenishing fast enough to
support appropriate collection-building.

E-licensing costs projected to grow 33% overall, And there are
important research resources that we don’t have access to, already

• Total spend on e-resources will grow from ~$8mil to ~$10.7mil

• Elsevier deal alone grows 16% over this time, a contractual
ncommitment we cannot change

Publisher Profit Margins Rival Apple, Big Pharma

• Pharmaceuticals (Pfizer): 42%
• RELX (Elsevier): 39%
• Apple: 37%
• Taylor & Francis: 36%
• Springer-Nature: 35%
• Banking (Industrial & Commercial Bank of China): 29%
• Wiley: 28%

Colin Steele
Emeritus Fellow
ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences