From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2016 18:04:07 -0500
From: Tony Sanfilippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 13:20:57 -0500

Perhaps I'm ignorant of the current uses and reuses of metadata but do
libraries use ONIX? I would think that libraries might improve
discoverability with OA MARC records better than they could with an
ONIX feed. Am I mistaken?

And if we're asking vendors to use ONIX to create those MARC records
for libraries, it will require work. Who will pay for that?

Also, this caught my eye and I can't just ignore it. "...PDFs have
their virtues but the only digital advantage they bring is network
transmissibility."

That's a pretty significant advantage. We've figured out how to make
this dense physical object transcend the limitations of space and
time, and it's going to reduce everyone's overall costs. Yet the
friction caused by requiring credentials to access this miracle is so
annoying that we're willing to deride the whole format.

For the record, I'd love to have our books be as feature rich as
possible, but it seems like we're asking publishers to create
highly-functional digital museums for the same cost as producing a
print book. Features have costs. Features require diverse and
expensive skill sets. I've yet to see the business case that indicates
there's a sufficient audience willing to pay for that with the
overwhelming majority of titles that are published in our market
sector.

Best,
Tony

Tony Sanfilippo, Director