From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:14:38 -0500
From: Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 06:03:29 +0000

> Can anyone explain, how important it is for publishers to collect funding details from authors? <

This is a terrific question from a philosophical and ethical
standpoint as Ginger suggests. I look forward to publishers and
authors chiming in. I'd also love to hear about the practical
challenges of standardizing (Fundref?) and indexing funder metadata
(SHARE?).

I'm solely a reader, but I've read enough author guidelines to know
that conflict of interest and funding info is often collected by the
journal from the author during the article submission process and the
guidelines explicitly state the rationale for collecting this info
(e.g. http://www.thelancet.com/lanonc/information-for-authors/statements-permissions-signatures).

And again as a reader, I usually discover this info on the publisher's
article page (at least in STM) -- either in the full text or as a
separate tab or as a link to the disclosure form (e.g.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa1605566/suppl_file/nejmoa1605566_disclosures.pdf
. PubMed Central has also introduced a search facet for research
funder.

Indexes started including funding body info as a value add several
years ago. From a practical standpoint, mining or collecting funder
metadata is likely challenging due to an apparent lack of
standardization (what's the uptake Fundref? are your data sources
providing funding info, SHARE?). An almost decade-old UK guide from
the defunct Research Information Network provides a succinct primer
(http://rin.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Acknowledgement-funders-guidance.pdf).

L. Wagner, MLIS

________________________________
From: "Williams, Ginger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 01:01:55 +0000

I don't know that publishers care much, although that may be changing
as government agencies begin requiring that research they fund be made
available to public at no charge after a limited embargo period.

Many finders require that the funding source be acknowledged.
Acknowledging funders is also good ethical practice, as funders may
have interests that can unconsciously bias research directions and
interpretations. For example, research on tobacco use funded by
tobacco companies is likely to be carefully scrutinized due to
potential for bias.