From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:41:00 -0500
From: Alex Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:27:24 -0500

As a university press publisher, I can't tell you how tired I get of
the great lie embedded in "Toll Access requires lower costs because of
its burden of delivering obscene profits to private equity owners...."
 Toll access also allows university presses to earn modest "surpluses"
that for the most part lower deficits otherwise picked up by their
home universities.  I don't know of any cases where those surpluses
could be called obscene by any stretch of the word.  If you can cite a
few, I will stand corrected.  If not, please stop lumping university
presses together with commercial ones.  It exaggerates the differences
between libraries and up's and just makes it that much harder to work
together, which a great many of us in both communities are trying to
do.

Thanks,

Alex Holzman