From:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2013 18:56:28 -0400
From: Heather Staines <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:51:28 -0400

Please excuse any cross-posting.

SIPX Announces Broad Range of Higher-Education Customers and Partners
for Innovative Digital Copyright Service

Palo Alto, CA  (May 21, 2013) – SIPX, Inc. today announced a broad
range of higher-education school customers and publisher partners for
the company’s innovative, end-to-end, digital copyright service.

“Today is an exciting milestone for SIPX,” said Bob Weinschenk, SIPX
Chief Executive Officer. “In the past nine months, we’ve spun-out from
Stanford, completed our financing, ramped our operations and engaged
with a world-class group of customers and partners eager to meet end
user demand for a modern and efficient digital copyright management
system.”

SIPX provides a new cloud-based technology, created to offer a wide
variety of content options, manage copyrights and deliver digital
documents for the higher-education marketplace.  Developed from
Stanford University research, the SIPX service is fully operational
and in use today.

SIPX blends seamlessly into a school’s Learning Management System
(LMS) and online education environments such as Massive Open Online
Courses (MOOCs).  The SIPX service helps instructors enrich their
educational materials by delivering all types of course materials,
including for-pay, open and royalty-free content.  With the SIPX
solution, students can view, print and download this content, faster,
more easily and legally.  SIPX recognizes and appropriately applies
contextual pricing or pre-existing rights to students, while
highlighting how schools and libraries purchase and maintain
subscriptions for their communities.  The SIPX service analytics also
help schools and publishers improve their understanding of what
content students are connecting with and how to leverage that content
most effectively.

By offering a transparent, efficient, end-to-end system, SIPX benefits
all parties in the ecosystem for higher-education reading materials.

Schools and consortia that have signed up with SIPX include California
State University Northridge, Golden Gate University, Occidental
College, Stanford University, State University of New York (SUNY)
Empire State College, University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), the
Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium (SCELC) and a wide
array of SCELC schools.

Rick Burke, Executive Director of SCELC, said “We’ve seen strong
interest from large and small SCELC schools in deploying the SIPX
service.  SIPX drew a lot of attention at our recent SCELC Vendor Day,
not only for its copyright management technologies, but also for its
potential to put the library’s resources front and center for the
user.  We look forward to continuing our partnership with SIPX to
bring this innovative approach to more libraries.”

In addition to its school customers, SIPX announced partnerships with
more than twenty-five (25) publishing, platform and service partners,
many of which have joined the SIPX Publisher Advisory Board.  Advisory
Board members include Wolters Kluwer Health’s Lippincott Williams &
Wilkins Journals, Nature Publishing Group, Perseus Books Group, Brill,
Association for Computing Machinery, Business Expert Press, University
of California Press, University of North Carolina Press, Pennsylvania
State University Press, Brookings Institution, SPIE, and Stanford
University Press.  Additional publisher partners being announced today
are Rowman and Littlefield, Rosetta Books, IGI-Global, Hindawi,
Casemate/Oxbow, Institute for Operations Research and the Management
Sciences (INFORMS), National Information Standards Organization
(NISO), ABC-Clio/Praeger Publishers, Berghahn Books, and Inderscience.
 Platform and service partners include HighWire Press, Metapress,
GeoScienceWorld and Copyright Clearance Center (CCC).

“As a trade publisher, the Perseus Books Group is always looking to
reach the academic market through innovative, digital services, and
SIPX certainly fits the bill.  We’re thrilled to be partnering with
SIPX and connecting with a broader audience,” said Bill Smith,
Director of Domestic Rights and Digital Partner Development, Perseus
Books Group.

SIPX continues to work with Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) to ensure
a seamless integration of the two services.  Tracey Armstrong,
President and Chief Executive Officer of CCC, said “We are happy to
support SIPX as the company brings a broad, integrated, networked
solution for copyright management to the world of post-secondary
education.”

More statements of support can be found here.  SIPX expects to
announce additional customers and partners in the coming months.

About SIPX, Inc.

Developed at Stanford University, SIPX (pronounced “sip-ex”) is a new
web-based technology created to offer a wide range of content options,
manage copyrights and deliver digital documents for the
higher-education marketplace.  SIPX is the first and only company to
provide an end-to-end service with these capabilities.  The SIPX
mission is to create an open and transparent system where
higher-education content consumers and providers can come together to
the benefit of all parties, including libraries, university
management, educators, students, creators, publishers, owners,
aggregators and rights agents.  SIPX launched its pilot implementation
at Stanford in April 2011 and has grown in use ever since.

For more information, visit www.sipx.com or follow SIPX on Twitter
(@SIPXCopyright).

Contacts:

Ellen Morton, Communications Manager