From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2016 19:32:39 -0500
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:59:04 -0500

In partial response to Todd Puccio:

What happens if I download an article from Sci-hub on weekends, from
my home, without using the U. network... Am I still part of my
university? After all, I am also allowed to do consulting work, so
long as it is not on U. time. What is U. time?

Todd Puccio's point has ethical validity, but human beings are rarely
pure free agents or pure employees. And finding a way not to involve
one's institution while using Sci-hub is not a terribly challenging
problem.

The real ethical issue is whether breaking copyright law is
justifiable if placed in the context of publisher behaviour viewed as
unacceptable. That is where a term like "civil disobedience" comes
into play.

A publisher behaviour begins to be unacceptable when some of its
components contribute strongly to making the process of knowledge
creation sub-optimal. Remember that creating knowledge about our world
is among the noblest things that a human being can do. Interfering
with this objective for financial gain is not terribly ethical IMHO,
even though it may be legal.

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée