From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:15:30 -0500
From: Richard Poynder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:06:13 +0000

In calling for research papers to be made freely available open access
advocates promised that doing so would lead to a simpler, less costly,
more democratic, and more effective scholarly communication system.

However, while the OA movement has succeeded in persuading research
institutions and funders of the merits of open access, it has failed
to win the hearts and minds of most researchers.

More importantly, it is not achieving its objectives. There are
various reasons for this, but above all it is because OA advocates
underestimated the extent to which copyright would subvert their
cause.

That is the argument I make in a recently-posted text on my blog,
which can be accessed from this page:
http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/copyright-immoveable-barrier-that-open.html

Richard Poynder