From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:39:35 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:12:07 +0100

I want to pick up on something that Richard has written. I am rather late
but I suspect that many on this list will have been busy with July 4th
celebrations.

I disagree with this statement - "few now doubt that OA is inevitable".
My impression from conversations with librarians, publishers and
scholars is that most now see OA as probably a default model and a
primary model. but part of a mixed economy with purchase by users however
organised continuing as part of the picture of scholarly communication for
the foreseeable future. Librarians are often reluctant to admit to this view
publicly because they fear that they are going against library (for example
ARL) orthodoxy. I have no idea how a mixed economy will work but on the
other hand I have no idea how a total OA environment can work. I am fully
aware that a switch of funds does make it possible but I do not see how the
funding can be distributed.

Anthony