From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:54:32 -0400
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 03:49:55 +0000

>For some reason it seems to be singularly difficult for some librarians
>to grasp the difference between whether the articles in a journal are
>all or mostly Green OA (which is not what we are discussing) and
>whether the publisher does not embargo Green OA (which does not imply
>that all or most of its articles are Green OA).

Stevan, I think you've missed the fact that this conversation has moved on
from the latter and is now concerned with the former. We're now talking
about how libraries might react not just to the lack of an embargo, but to
the actual availability of Green articles from subscription journals.

Speaking for myself, when I talked about using SHERPA/RoMEO it was not
about using that service as a "basis for journal cancellation" directly,
but using it to identify journals that might be cancellable, assuming that
enough of their content is, in fact, freely available. I believe that
Janice's message was intended in that context.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah