From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:13:05 -0400
From: "Beall, Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:45:20 -0600

Dear Jean-Claude Guédon:

There are some, including me, who make the distinction between gold
open-access and platinum open-access.

Gold = free to reader, author pays article processing charge

Platinum = free to reader, free to author

This distinction is important and has value, I think, because it shows
two different funding models for open-access publishing. So I do
believe, as you say, that gold really means author-pay journals.
Conflating the two models under a single appellation initiates
confusion and ambiguity.

Using the more precise terminology enables clearer communication and
does not semantically lump together two things that are inherently
different.

Jeffrey Beall, MA, MSLS, Associate Professor

Scholarly Initiatives Librarian
Auraria Library
University of Colorado Denver
Denver, Colo.  80204 USA

From: Jean-Claude Guédon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:29:19 -0400
Thank you for this URL. I listened to it and said to myself: only the
French (I was born there) can defend open access with lopsided
arguments...

Two noted mistakes:

* PLoS does not practice peer review and relies on comments after

* Gold, i.e. OA journals, really means author-pay OA journals

Of course, in the latter case, many publishers are intent on
propagating this false conflation of Gold and author-pay as it is the
business model they use to preserve their revenue stream in the OA
context.

The battle for vocabulary and words  is also part of the battle for OA.

Jean-Claude Guédon