From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 04:52:20 -0400
From: Anali Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:41:08 +0000
Subject: RE: ImpactStory releases new Chrome Extension: Unpaywall
Hi Brian,

Google Scholar does not reliably index all institutional repositories
(there have been a few studies documenting this - there are issues on
both the repository & Google sides). Unpaywall specifically indexes
known OA locations, so it would be more reliable for finding OA
content. From the FAQ:
“We rely on some fantastic open data services, especially PubMed
Central, the DOAJ, Crossref (particularly their license info),
DataCite, and BASE.”

To answer Ann’s earlier question – Unpaywall searches both publishers’
sites as well as repositories. If an OA version of the article is
available via the publisher, then it will point to that. If a
postprint is available on a repository as the only OA option that
should be what it pulls up. There’s an option in the settings to have
Unpaywall signal whether the article is Gold or Green.

Anali Maughan Perry
Associate Librarian - Collections & Scholarly Communication
ASU Library
(480) 727-6301

From: Brian Simboli <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:56:03 -0400

To what extent does the new Impactstory look-up capability overlap
with the same capabilities in Google Scholar?

When would one want to use one as opposed to the other? Or are they
complementary?

Thanks
Brian Simboli
Lehigh University