From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 20:35:41 -0400
From: "Matheson, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 20:10:20 +0000

Hi Mark,

This may not be an option for you and certainly has its drawbacks, but when
faced with this sort of situation, we have been known to have an individual
user license the materials needed and apply to us for reimbursement. We
have an internal re-granting mechanism that does not use collection funds.

This means we don't have to bind the university to untenable or
impossible licenses but the user still gets the needed materials - sometimes
at a lower, individual use rate. To my knowledge, we do this rarely and for
resources that I imagine are significantly less expensive than I guess GIS
data is.

Of course the downsides include that we're not adding this material to our
collection or making it available to others. This is a last resort
tactic, but the
license you describe definitely ticks all of our "No; no way; not ever" boxes.

Scott
Scott Matheson, Associate Librarian for Technical Services
Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School
203-432-1603 | Box 208326, New Haven, CT 06520-8326