From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:51:27 -0500
From: "Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:48:56 +0000

Hi Jim,

Not really my area of expertise, but I quickly touched base with the
very knowledgeable Graham Bell (copied here) and asked him a question
about whether ONIX for Books might help with at least some of these
challenges.  Apparently it could.  So for example, there are data
elements that can clarify the ‘technological’ aspects of file format,
reading system requirements and so on, and there are data elements
that can list some of the major usage constraints / conditions, and
there are data elements that can point to a full license.

But there are open questions on whether publishers provide the
necessary level of detail in their ONIX for Book feeds at the minute,
and about whether libraries receive/ingest ONIX for Books metadata.
He has apparently seen "an uptick in interest in ONIX from libraries
and more specifically from library systems suppliers (e.g. Innovative,
Sirsi Dynix)" which is potentially interesting and helpful.

More information about ONIX for Books is available here:
http://www.editeur.org/83/Overview/

With best wishes,
Alicia