From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:51:03 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:28:36 -0400

It makes no sense until you look at the contractual history.  I have
no idea what Hesse's contract says, but it likely grants rights only
to German in Germany.  That would have been a print contract, for
which there has been on "upgrading" for ebooks without a new
negotiation with the author's estate.

These problems make no sense and they will not go away simply because
they make no sense.  They will persist for decades.

The good news is that new books are being published with different
contracts, which are mostly global in orientation.  Many, many
exceptions to this especially for English-language and
Spanish-language books.

Joe Esposito