From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:42:48 -0500
From: Laura Quilter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:03:16 -0500

Sadly, there is zero incentive in the 512 process for OSPs (online
service providers) to do any verifying or fact-checking or supporting
their subscribers' rights.  The only user-protection in the process is
the counter-notification procedure, that users can take advantage of
but rarely do, and Section 512(f), which provides damages for knowing
misrepresentations.  There's been some limited success in getting
512(f) damages for obvious fair uses, but I think this provision may
fairly be called under-utilized and practically worthless, since the
knowing misrepresentation bar is high.  One might think that claiming
ownership without KNOWING you have it would meet the standard, but I
wouldn't bet on it.

Laura

Laura Markstein Quilter / [log in to unmask]
Attorney, Geek, Militant Librarian, Teacher

Copyright and Information Policy Librarian
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Lecturer, Simmons College, GSLIS