From:
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:17:49 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:04:26 -0700

This is genuinely surprising.  Even outside the realm where people
read several books a week as part of academic duties, there is a large
number of people who read genre fiction in buckets.  Romance readers
are probably at the top of the list, but I have known people who read
a science fiction novel every day.  In my local used bookstore, I see
some of the same people every time I stop in, filling a shopping bag
with paperback mysteries.

I suspect, with zero evidence, that there is a short head and a long
tail among readers.  The short head--people who read gobs of
books--may comprise a very big part of the overall market.  We pay too
much attention to the Long Tail.

Joe Esposito