From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:07:29 -0400
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:01:03 +0000

>Had you excerpted the preceding sentence as well, Rick, I think my
>point would have been clear.

Had I excerpted the preceding sentence, your point would have looked even
less reasonable. The idea that Wiley¹s one-year embargo makes
dissertations less accessible in the digital age than they were in the
print era is ridiculous. Even if your point was intended to apply only to
dissertations affected by the Wiley embargo policy, it still doesn¹t make
sense. After the one-year embargo those dissertations can be made globally
and freely available, representing, on balance, an enormous step forward
in accessibility compared to the situation during the print era.

Here are both of your original sentences in full:

"Wiley still has very complex reuse policies, and, depending on how you
read them, they could require a one year embargo before a dissertation
can be made public.  We should note that this makes dissertations in
the digital age less accessible than they were in the past, for no
reason other than to protect the markets of commercial publishers, or,
perhaps, to pander to their fears.²

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication
Marriott Library, University of Utah