From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2013 17:37:27 -0400
From: Andree Rathemacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 09:55:02 -0400

Thank you to the many people who responded to my request for readings
on the early history of scientific journals! It has taken me until now
to compile the suggestions into a reading list reading list on this
and related topics.

Here is the list, with the items that appear to be most closely
related to the start of journal publishing toward the top (otherwise
in no particular order).

Thanks again to everyone!

Guédon, Jean Claude. In Oldenburg’s Long Shadow : Librarians, Research
Scientists, Publishers, and the Control of Scientific Publishing.
Washington, D.C.: Association of Research Libraries, 2001.

Kronick, David A. A History of Scientific and Technical Periodicals:
The Origins and Development of the Scientific and Technological Press,
1665-1790. New York: Scarecrow Press, 1962.

Kronick, D.A. Scientific and Technical Periodicals of the Seventeenth
and Eighteenth Centuries: A Guide. Metuchen, NJ: The Scarecrow Press,
1991.

Manten, A. A. “Development of European Scientific Journal Publishing
Before 1850.” In A. J. Meadows (ed.), Development of Science
Publishing in Europe. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1980.

Morris, Sally, Ed Barnas, Doug LaFrenier, and Margaret Reich. The
Handbook of Journal Publishing. New York: Cambridge University Press,
2013.

See one-chapter summary and further reading on p. 402.

Brock, W.H. and A.J. Meadows. The Lamp of Learning: Two Centuries of
Publishing at Taylor & Francis. 2nd ed. Bristol, PA: Taylor & Francis,
1998.

Focused on development of Taylor & Francis since 1798; an interesting
history of how science communication developed in London.

McKitterick, David. A History of Cambridge University Press. 3 vols.
New York: Cambridge University Press, 1992-2004.

Fredriksson, Einar H. A Century of Science Publishing: A Collection of
Essays. Washington, D.C.: IOS Press, 2001.

See chapters: Cook, A., “Academic Publications Before 1940,” pp.
15-24; Cockerill, M., “Biological and Medical Publishing via the
Internet,” pp. 203-215; Fredriksson, E.H., “The Dutch Publishing
Scene: Elsevier and North Holland,” pp. 61-76; Miranda, R.N., “Robert
Maxwell: Forty-Four Years as Publisher,” pp. 77-89; Sarkowski, H.,
“The Growth and Decline of German Scientific Publishing,” pp. 25-34.”

========================

Kerr, Chester. A Report on American University Presses. Washington,
D.C.: Association of American University Presses, 1949.

Hawes, Gene R. To Advance Knowledge: A Handbook on American University
Press Publishing. New York: Association of American University Presses
/ American University Press Services, 1967.

Thompson, John B. Books in the Digital Age: The Transformation of
Academic and Higher Education Publishing in Britain and the United
States. Malden, Mass.: Polity Press, 2005.

“Thompson focuses on academic and higher education publishing and
analyzes the evolution of these sectors from 1980 to the present. He
shows that each sector is characterized by its own distinctive ‘logic’
or dynamic of change, and that by reconstructing this logic we can
understand the problems, challenges and opportunities faced by
publishing firms today.”

Johns, Adrian. The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the
Making. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000.

“Weighing in at 750-plus pages, Adrian Johns's sturdy tome is several
books in one. At one level, it is a close study of print culture in
early modern England, a time of civil war in which social and civic
relations were being remade from the mores of feudal monarchy to a
politics approximating modern democracy. In this transformation, the
printing press was an essential vehicle for empowering the common
people, and control over the publishing industry was contested among
several parties--the government, authors, booksellers, the printers
themselves. At another level, Johns's book is a study of the role of
printing in the formation of scientific knowledge, a means whereby
scientific discoveries could be widely circulated and codified. At
another, it is a contribution to the sociology of communication,
concentrating on changes in English society thanks to the press,
through which a literate but remarkably isolated people who, an
18th-century writer observed, knew no more of the city and countryside
outside their immediate neighborhood than they did of France or
Russia, could become aware of the larger world--often over the
objections of power-makers like Sir Francis Bacon, who urged that the
people not be given access to information that did not immediately
concern them.”

Eisenstein, E. L. The Printing Press as an Agent of Change:
Communications and Cultural Transformations in Early Modern Europe
(Vol. II). New York: Cambridge University Press, 1979.

Febvre, L.P.V., and Martin, H.J. The Coming of the Book: The Impact of
Printing 1450-1800. (D. Gerard, Trans.) London: NLB, 1976.

Finkelstein, David and Alistair McCleery. An Introduction to Book
History. 2nd edition. Routledge, 2012.

“The second edition... provides a comprehensive critical introduction
to the development of the book and print culture.”

Sher, Richard B. The Enlightenment and the Book: Scottish Authors and
their Publishers in Eighteenth-Century Britain, Ireland, and America.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2006.

“The late eighteenth century witnessed an explosion of intellectual
activity in Scotland... In this magisterial history... Sher breaks new
ground for our understanding of the Enlightenment and the forgotten
role of publishing during that period.”

Johns, Adrian. Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg
to Gates. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2011.

“Piracy explores the intellectual property wars from the advent of
print culture in the fifteenth century to the reign of the Internet in
the twenty-first...”

Fitzpatrick, Kathleen. Planned Obsolescence: Publishing, Technology,
and the Future of the Academy. New York: New York University Press,
2011.

“Includes a summary of the history of scholarly communication.”

Cooke, H. “A Historical Review of the Chemistry Periodical Literature
until 1950.” Learned Publishing 17, no. 2 (2004): 125-134.

Phelps, R. H., and Herlin, J. P. “Alternatives to the Scientific
Periodical: A Report and Bibliography.” UNESCO Bulletin for Libraries
XIV, no. 2 (1960): 61-75.

Piternick, A. B. “Attempts to Find Alternatives to the Scientific
Journal: A Brief Review.” The Journal of Academic Librarianship 15,
no. 5 (1989): 260-266.

Abel, Richard, Lyman W. Newlin, Katina P. Strauch, and Bruce Strauch.
Scholarly Publishing: Books, Journals, Publishers, and Libraries in
the Twentieth Century. New York: Wiley, 2002.

“Just 20th century. Front line narratives.”

“E-mail Alan Singleton ([log in to unmask]) and ask him for suggestions.
 He has an amazing and comprehensive knowledge of publishing
(including the Royal Society).”

*********