From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 22:13:27 +0100
From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 08:23:56 +0000

Dear Sandy,

Personally I've written and had published over 75 articles, editorials
and books chapters.

One publication that ranks as peer reviewed and scholarly and that has
provided a small honorarium is the Charleston Advisor \for peer
reviewed articles I've written for them.

However Pergamon (back when) Elsevier, Wiley, Haworth, ACRL, and I'm
sure there some I've forgotten, did not provide any remuneration.
American libraries, Information Today (Searcher Magazine) paid
honoraria and the publishers of Information Today have a "revenue"
portion in their contract.

With the one exception noted above, Scholarly and academic publishers
in my personal experience from my first publication in 1984 to more
recently and in a large range of scholarly journals generally do not.
I think the Information Today publications represent the only revenue
sharing contracts I've signed.  There of course have been several
"prizes" and awards for my  various publications, but those are not
from income sharing agreements.  My experience, from general
discussions with other scholarly and academic authors are not to the
best of my knowledge unique.

Regards
Chuck

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 08:48:30 -0500

I would be interested in knowing what evidence Chuck has to back up
his claim that "most" authors of scholarly journal articles and book
chapters sign contracts that provide for no sharing of income with
them from subsidiary rights. That was certainly not true at the two
university presses at which I worked (and whose contracts I wrote),
Princeton and Penn State.

Sandy Thatcher