From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:48:50 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 18:06:41 -0600

Like many other publishers, I (as then director of Penn State
University Press) opposed the Patriot Act provisions that allowed the
government to snoop through our files and databases to go on fishing
expeditions to find any information they thought might be relevant to
a national security issue.  What was especially troublesome is that I,
as director, would not be allowed to inform or consult the
university's counsel or my own boss if such a search were conducted.
Librarians were among the most outspoken in opposition to these
Patriot Act provisions.

Sandy Thatcher