From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:13:12 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:09:31 -0600

If this is a problem for journal editors, wouldn't you suppose it
would be even more of a problem for editors at scholarly book
publishers trying to get reviews on much longer manuscripts? Yet, in
my experience of more than 40 years as an acquiring editor (which is
current today as i continue to acquire part-time in political science
for two academic presses), I have not noticed any significant increase
in the difficulty of obtaining reviewers for books.  I wonder if that
is the experience of other university press editors who may be tuned
into this listserv (such as Alex Holzman)?

There are, of course, far fewer book MSS to be reviewed than journal
articles. And many of the publishers asking for the reviews will be
long-established houses with good reputations, which may set them
apart from newly launched journals with unproven track records. Also,
book reviewing does come with at least some (modest) financial
compensation, whereas journal article reviewing generally is done for
free.

I might share this query with the AAUP-L list to see if we can glean
any other possible answers to this puzzle.

Sandy Thatcher